I am sitting in the comfort of my own room watching the Olympic pre-show on TV.I say safety because I decided I do not want to risk being trampled by a mob of spectators, protesters or policemen at one of the public viewing places here (like Tiannamen Square or Wangfujing). We went out earlier today, and there was enough of a stampede with the throngs of people on the subway to help me make my decision.I also feel that since I am lucky enough to have my place in this historical moment I won't be missing too much.
I experienced some excitement myself on Wednesday but not with quite the same size group of people. 17 of the world's top 20 tennis players will be competing at the Olympics, and I got to see the top two play. Well, practice, but it felt more intimate because most of the stadiums' seats were empty except for those filled by eager volunteers. I admit I was a bit starstruck to be somewhat up close and personal with Federer and Nadal, me in the moat and them on the court. All I can say is wow. Just, wow. I can't really discuss what happened, but wow should cover it for now. I also got to watch Ana Ivancovic,a rather recent number 1, Lleyton Hewitt, a number 1 in 2001, and the Swedes practice from the moat. We did have some issues with unruly photographers and others who were not supposed to be in the moat, but overall it was an amazing day. Later that evening I had a great dinner with a college friend and her friends at Paper, a Malaysian restaurant to top off one of my best days here so far.
And then yesterday my computer crashed, so I'm writing all of this from my Blackberry. I can still check e-mail, but with this and the tennis competition coming up I won't be as communicative this next week, but please do stay in touch!
Friday, August 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I can't wait to hear more about Federer and Nadal. I am a huge fan of both and am so happy you get to see them play close up!
I am doing a show tonight so can't watch the Opening Ceremonies, but hopefully I can get someone to record them for me.
miss you lots. Julia's back in town, we had lunch today, and she sends her love!
EA! So excited that you're covering tennis, per my shrieking exhortation. Steph and I are, indeed, jealous of and missing you here in Boston-boringtown. Can you get close enough to steal one of the men's balls? xoxo
Post a Comment