Note: this post was first written yesterday and then today.
I've been trying to unload the 150 Mizzou Centenial pins given to each of us, mostly to the other volunteers in my venue. But today I got my first one in return from a UPI photographer. Pins are a big deal at Olympics as they are easy to carry and show off how many international friends you've made. According to my sources and the NY Times article, the best place to exchange pins is by the Main Press Center, so I will most likely head over there next week and see what my Mizzou pins can get me.
The craziness that should start with the final rounds of matches is currently on delay because of the rain. My fellow volunteers and photographers are anxiously waiting in the photo workroom for the clouds to clear. On the TV screen I can see a few dedicated fans holding out with their umbrellas and ponchos for any chance that they might see a match played today. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath.
You've probably heard by now that Federer and both of the Williams sisters are out of singles medal contention. Serena played the Russian Dementieva on my court after the rain delay ended at about 8pm. It was quite an operation to see the mass of people needed to dry the court out for the game. First they used giant squeeges to absorb the excess water, followed by towels which volunteers would stamp on in unison and lift up to do the next segment and repeat over and over again for the whole court. Finally they used what looked like snow blowers but with heat for the final drying of the court. Each player won one game so they had to go into a third game. Serena played strong at first then seemed to get a bit tired. Dementieva came back strong and won that last game. Right at the end of that game my friend on center court texted me that Federer had lost to James Blake which I at first had a hard time believing, but was later confirmed by other volunteers.
The next game was between Djokovic and Monfils, a young French player who although ranked in the 40s had played well enough so far to get to this quaterfinal match. He and Djokovic like Serena and Dementieva seemed evenly matched which again led to the need for a third game. The French had one animated fan who at one point got a whole section of Chinese fans to chant "Allez Gael," the French player's first name. Djokovic threw a few tantrums, but at the end of the match which he won all seemed well as he and his opponent embraced in a friendly hug.
By this time it was already 1 am and we were supposed to play a third game between Safina and Jankovic, but then it started misting. Jankovic made a fuss about it and it was decided that all the matches being played should be cancelled. Frankly I was relieved as I was so tired anyway!
When we got back to the photo manager's office, it was time for some of the players' press conferences. We were excited to see Nadal just down the hall from our office. A few moments later I was about to leave the room when Federer pased right in front of me, and then just as we were about to leave I was about to cross the hall when my friend had to literally pull me out of Nadal's way. Some near brushes with greatness! We didn't get back to our hotel until 3 am because the bus we needed to take was so full we couldn't get on until a second one arrived.
Some finals matches are being played tomorrow, so I am very excited!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I, too, was flabbergasted to hear that Federer was out. I'm so upset! It's amazing you got to see him and Nadal very close, though. :-)
I haven't been able to catch any tennis yet on TV, but I'm keeping an eye out for you!
love,
Steph
Post a Comment